Monday, October 28, 2013

Update from Dan Duke, Wycliffe Missionary
October 2013 — Work on the Gyele language in Cameroon. 
Now Dan is visiting in the USA.                              Vol. 20 no. 2

Visiting the USA until early spring 2014!

It has been a very busy 14 months in Cameroon researching the Gyele language. Now I’m back in Indiana for some time with family and friends. I’m also writing my dissertation here. I hope to visit churches, friends, and supporters as well. Please contact me to arrange a visit.

Dan’s cell phone number is: 
(317) 544-8234.

             Praise God with me for:                                            

Health: overall I’m well, but controlling the blood sugar has become more a problem, along with a chronic
cough over several months. I’m having these issues and other looked at now that I’m in the USA.

Research: Success in attaining all of our goals for recording and transcribing texts in the Bagyele language.

The Volkswagen Bakola project is now completed!

Vehicle: New motor for my vehicle, which is now almost fully repaired.

Language learning: I’m beginning to understand Bagyele finally!

Witness: Good opportunities to witness to the Bagyele language workers! Over the last year I had some visiting Bagyele living and working with me in Yaounde. We accomplished a lot of language work, and
we also had many prayer times and devotionals. It seemed like some truth was getting through.

Europe visit: I had a good visit to Europe in August, including a chance to sing at a wedding in Germany and work for a month in Leiden with my dissertation supervisor.

            Please join me in prayer for:

Health: I am getting much need health check-ups now. I need wisdom in health issues, such as weight
loss and managing diabetes.

Dissertation: now I have all of the data I need to write a description of Gyele and finish my PhD dissertation
for Leiden University. After several years of working on this, the pressure in on to finish it up.

Financial issues: My co-workers who were helping me research the Bagyele language, and who were showing some interest in the Bible Studies and prayer times, may have had other motives for working with me. Over a period of several months, about 3 thousand dollars was stolen from my office and house. This has left me in some financial difficulty, but worse I feel betrayed by those I considered friends and potential new believers.

Discouragement: The above situation, and others on the mission field, have left me discouraged and in need
of times of refreshment from the Lord.

The Bagyele people: They need a touch from the Holy Spirit if they are to be reached.

No comments: